Reporting Concerns Regarding Animals at NIH

Please note: Injured or distressed wildlife can be reported by calling either 301-496-5685 or 311, and the on-call veterinary staff will be notified.

As the NIH Intramural Research Program Institutional Official, Dr. Nina Schor is committed to full and open communication regarding animal care and use within the NIH Intramural Research Program (DDIR Policy Memo: Communicating Animal Care and Use Concerns within the NIH IRP).

Anyone within the NIH Intramural Research Program, including NIH employees and contractors, who has a concern regarding the care and use of animals in research at NIH should voice that concern to one of the following:

Examples of reportable incidents include, but are not limited to:

  • Conditions that jeopardize the health or well-being of animals, including natural disasters, accidents, and mechanical failures, resulting in actual harm or death to animals;
  • Conduct of animal-related activities without appropriate ACUC review and approval;
  • Failure to adhere to ACUC-approved protocols;
  • Implementation of any significant change to ACUC-approved protocols without prior ACUC approval;
  • Conduct of animal-related activities beyond the expiration date established by the ACUC;
  • Chronic failure to provide space for animals in accordance with recommendations of the Guide;
  • Participation in animal-related activities by individuals who have not been appropriately trained;
  • Failure to monitor animals post-procedurally as necessary to ensure well-being;
  • Failure to maintain appropriate animal-related records (e.g., identification, medical, husbandry);
  • Failure to ensure death of animals after euthanasia procedures; and
  • Failure of animal care and use personnel to carry out veterinary orders (e.g., treatments).

If you are uncertain about whether an incident or activity should be reported, please report it.

NIH will not tolerate any reprisal against an individual who has come forward with concerns involving the care and use of animals. Such reprisal is prohibited by law and perpetrators are subject to sanctions. Individuals who feel that a personnel action has been taken against them because they reported an apparent violation of animal care and use requirements, should present their case to their supervisor, their IC Director, the NIH Director, the Office of the Inspector General, or the Office of Special Counsel. If individuals allege any form of discrimination, they should file their complaint with the Office of Equal Opportunity.

This page was last updated on Monday, February 12, 2024